The post holder will report to the Assistant Director for Business, Employment and Skills.
Royal Greenwich is a great place to do business. We are home to over 11,000 businesses, and 100,000 jobs. The local economy is dominated by SMEs and the potential for growth is huge. Over the past 10 years 19,000 jobs were added to our local economy, supported by regeneration projects and the growth of our business base.
The council’s business support function has been critical in our response to the COVID-19 pandemic, helping businesses to navigate the current climate and access the support and advice available. Engagement with local businesses and key stakeholders, will form the basis of a robust and collaborative recovery strategy.
The successful candidate will:
- Have broad knowledge across a wide range of disciplines, to include Business Support, Procurement and Social Value, Markets and Street Trading, and how these contribute to economic growth.
- Led on the review and development of adaptive and strategic approaches which improve the functioning of town centres across the borough and develop strong business and community partnerships including oversee the feasibility and viability of Business Improvement Districts.
- Strong track record of performance managing a multi-disciplinary team, responsible for business liaison, local supply chain development, SME business retention and relocation.
- Strategically manage, develop and deliver services in relation to business engagement, markets and town centre management, social enterprise development, and the market and street trading inspection service.
- Develop, manage and oversee a proactive and strategic approach to business inward investment relating to SME enquiries that focuses on potential growth sectors and areas for the Royal Borough.
For an informal chat about this role, please contact Michelle Rankin, at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 8921 3906
Diversity Statement: Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
High Volume Applications: Royal Borough of Greenwich reserves the right to close any vacancy earlier than the advertised closing date should there be a high volume of applications received.
Standard DBS: This role requires a Standard DBS. (This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act,1974)
Advert Close: All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated
How Applications are Scored: Each application is scored according to how well the supporting statement addresses each point on the Person Specification for the role. Candidates will be short-listed for interview on the extent to which they meet the specific points within the Person Specification. The Person Specification is supplied with the job advert. When completing your application, please use the supporting statement section to tell us how you meet each of the points on the Person Specification. We need to have this information in order to consider your application. If you have a disability and are unable to meet some of the job requirements specifically because of your disability, please address this in your application. If you meet all the other criteria, you will be shortlisted and we will explore jointly with you if there are ways in which the job can be changed to enable you to meet the requirements.
Internal Only Advert: This vacancy is being advertised internally only – this means it is only open to applications from existing employees, agency workers, apprentices and GSP/GSS employees.
Interview Arrangements: During this time, our priority for all of our recruitment activity is to make sure our applicants, hiring departments and new starters are informed, safe and supported. Careful and thorough consideration will be given to interview arrangements and for any essential in-person recruitment, we will ensure this is held in a suitable, secure setting with additional arrangements to ensure any current safety requirements are fully adhered to.
Salary: Salaries advertised are for a standard working week of 35 hours unless otherwise stated. Please use this ‘Salary Calculator to help you calculate a pro rata salary.